Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Engaging

Continuing thoughts of community are on my mind this morning. Thoughts such as going beyond the assembly ~ making an impact and influencing our neighborhood.

I suspect the need for action in today's society is great. Over a generation, people have become increasingly, purposefully sequestered from others. Some, in an attempt to gain privacy; some, the result of depression or infirmity; some, through anti-social behaviors . . .the list could go on.

Yet in the heart of most, I believe a longing to be known and cared for resides. Fear of vulnerability; fear of personal harm; fear of leaving a created comfort zone: all of these hindrances to stepping out, and being neighborly.

The boldness of Christ can overcome all that.

As I consider my neighbors this morning, I ask the Father to grant me an opportunity to be of service to them. I ask for opportunities to share a smile, a warm-hearted story, a laugh or two. I ask for opportunities to be present in the time of need.

How long has it been since you've spoken with your neighbor?
What recent attempt have you made to brighten someone else's day?
In what manner have you been of service to someone outside of your household?

Has Jesus been seen in your neighborhood?

2 comments:

Beth said...

Funny you should mention this today. We were out meeting and talking with our next door neighbors last night. We have lived here almost 2 years and this is the first time we've met them.

Kim & Dave said...

It is so easy to get so busy we forget our main purpose we were put on this earth-to share Christ with others & to glorify Him by doing so!

Related Posts with Thumbnails