Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Grocery Game: Day 4

What with all those beans 'n all, I knew today had to be a 'bust out the veggies' kinda day for y'all . . . and I shan't disappoint, even though my plans changed as the day progressed.

You see, I fell asleep.

Uncharacteristically.

Twice.

But enough about that!  Let's get down to business.

Breakfast was a bust.  Keller munched a Banana Oatmeal Muffin from the freezer, I skipped, then slept, which took me straight to lunchtime.  Therefore lunch was my breakfast, but I didn't actually eat until two p.m., so it was really brunch.  Then again, brunch happens mid - to late-morning, and this was mid afternoon.

Color me confused.

I ate.

Remember that Roasted Red Pepper Hummus I made yesterday?  Out of those yummy garbanzo beans?  It became the star player in a flour tortilla, and was paired with a Romaine and Red Leaf Lettuce salad.






Hummus is chock full of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins A and C, manganese . . . and it's caloric count is mega low, meaning you can eat two tortillas filled with hummus for a very small 'price' tag, if you are a calorie counter.  But, I dare ya to have two of these babies for lunch.  They are incredibly filling!  When coupled with the greens, it's top notch healthy!

This particular salad pairing, the lettuce with a grated carrot and sliced cucumber, packs a health punch.  Dietary fiber, iron, potassium, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamins A and C, calcium . . .makes ya think twice that salads aren't so healthy, eh?  :)

For a dressing, I love to make vinaigrette's.  The one I used today was a homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette,


I generally make a Red Wine Vinaigrette, which I will be sharing the recipe for today.

That takes us to discussion about oils and fats.  Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and butter are the fats that stock my pantry.  When I can get my hands on a grass-fed processed hog, I'll be adding lard to that list.  These natural fats are fuel for our nervous system, you'll feel more satisfied, and more.  As people have moved farther and farther away from healthy fats, toward the supposed 'better for you' low fats, health has declined.  Return to the wholesomeness of Olive Oil and Coconut oil.  You'll be amazed at how much better your food tastes, and how much better you feel.  We'll get to more technical details on these items as we go along.

For now, it's important that you understand that I was planning a gorgeous stir fry tonight.

But I fell asleep.

:)

When I awoke, my planned (gluten free) Quiche for tomorrow's breakfast was suddenly What's For Supper.  :)



 . . . and that ended up being okay, because it was just Keller and I tonight.  Although Bethany arrived, she stunned me by telling me she doesn't like quiche!  (How can someone not like quiche?!)  LOL

So, I've still a gorgeous quick breakfast for tomorrow morning, and likely a late night snack for the GilGuy when he arrives home.  If there are any left after that noshing, I'll decide whether or not to freeze the rest, for a future harried morning.  My instinct tells me they will be gonzo.

I'm okay with that.  :)

That takes us to tally time.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus per Tablespoon = .16
Flour Tortilla = .20


Red Leaf and Romaine Salad with carrot and cucumber = .41 per serving


Bacon, Spinach, Squash, and Cheese Quiche = .12 each

Um, yeah.  I ate well for less than a dollar today.

Sure did.  :)

All 24 quiche totaled 2.50, the Salad totaled 1.65.  Had several family members been present, we would have maybe topped the five dollar mark.  Loosely speaking, of course.  :)

And that doesn't include the celery and hummus I had for snack tonight.  :D

Not too shabby, eh?

Now, if I could just remember that today is Thursday, not Wednesday  . . .

Enjoy the goods, as you put them on your family's plates:

Red Wine Vinaigrette, Crustless Bacon and Spinach Individual Quiche:  Day 4











No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails