Monday, September 01, 2008

Reprimanded.

I had high hopes surrounding some major Bible study time yesterday. I had awoken with purpose and resolve toward accomplishing at least one of the three studies I've currently got going, and, I was desirous to taking in a new thought via a podcast I've had my eye on.

The day started out fine. All things in my world were tidy and neat. Roast in the crockpot, cookies made from scratch the previous day were neatly stacked and wrapped, just waiting to be imbibbed; the windows were open, allowing a cool and gentle breeze to waft in . . .

Restful. That was the atmosphere of my little home in Cali.

I put both feet in first, spending the better part of an hour going over various Scriptures, ingesting them, mulling them over in my mind, considering.

Then, Keller demanded me. The phone rang. Kids began arriving at our doorstep. And Gustav was threatening.

Before I knew it, I was wisked away on a tidal wave named 'cares of this life' and I stood, mezmerized by the reports from NOAA and Intellicast and the Gulf Coast local websites.

Yes, it was in part worthy of my attention. Yet too much attention, according to my Father, as I finally lay myhead on the pillow late last night . . .er, this morning. Still a tad wound, I opened a book I've been reading to a random page. The words were clear and crisp, and the Lord was speaking directly to me:

But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of Jehovah thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day, that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee. Deut 28:15

I was immediately convicted.

I had allowed the day to pass, to wash over me, without maintaining my resolve. I was quickly reminded of how easy it is to get one's eyes off of the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus onto worldly things.

So, I repented. Right then and there.

I fell asleep, knowing that tomorrow I would be much wiser in my use of time spent with Him. That Bible study that's been on my plate for weeks now? I may not "finish" it . . .but I sure the heck am gonna take a big bite today.

Thanks to the reprimand of the Father.

My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Hebrews 12: 5-11

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well put agent Ang...how easy it is to be distracted by the cares of this life. Maybe thats why He says to cast ALL of our cares on Him....

Related Posts with Thumbnails