Tuesday, August 19, 2008


I've often said that our current California adventure leaves me standing, Jolly Green Giant fashion, with my feet firmly planted in two worlds. One world is constant, secure, nurturing, and dependable. The other shifting, simple, and fluid.

Bridging those two worlds has been accomplished by phone up until our very first window of opportunity to travel back home, ever so briefly. Bridging those worlds in geographical format was highly anticipated. Therefore, I felt unprepared when we encountered what could quite possibly be the most difficult travel day I've ever experienced in my zip-here-and-there life.

I dare not to bore you with one of those horror stories such as you've had to endure from, suppose, a complete stranger, bent on venting their angst upon any unsuspecting passer-by-style-victim that might simply ask, "How are you?" Followed by the Questioner walking away, shaking their head, wondering why they asked in the first place.

No. I won't do that to you. But in many ways I feel as though I am still recovering. So, if you will allow me a brief synopsis to set the stage, I'll move to more productive measures of sharing some pictures with you. (Since I've taken ownership of the USB cord, that is!)

The curtain was drawn on Friday morning, when Israel was scheduled to arrive on set. His work day closed out at 10:30 pm. We hadn't yet packed. Our shuttle was set to arrive at 2:30 AM (yes, I said AM), so we decided to forego the immediate sleep in exchange for a couple of hours shut eye at the airport, on a bench.

Well. If only.

The shuttle arrived early. A half an hour early.

Did you know that at 2:30 AM on a Saturday morning, the only presence of life in an airport is the sleeping passengers who unfortunately missed their connecting flight the night before? We entered the ticketing foyer to find nothing, noone, not even an electronic check-in available. And all (three) seats taken. Hence began our hours-long wait, in an upright, standing position . . .Keller in the mayawrap [translate: in a sling, around my shoulders].

Choosers, my body did not find a seat until 6:15 AM, after the bomb sniffing dogs had determined the coast was clear, and we could take off ~ late, of course.

Then began the missed flights, the interminable waiting because of a torrential downpour, and continued frazzling and fraying of nerves and emotions. As I mentioned yesterday, we were in airport, plus a two hour drive to destination, for 18 hours.


One discovers things about themselves, when they are pressed against their limits. Aubrey said it best when she said, and I visually quote:

I'd say that pretty much sums up the experience of the day! Normally very patient, I had very little left by the time I handled this situation with two teens and a ten month old.

Israel had chosen to carry on both his laptop and his skateboard. I wanted to clock him with both items numerous times.

Overall, Keller was a trooper. He managed to capture the attention and delight of other stranded travellers. Perhaps the only bright spot in an otherwise dreary day.

Getting off the plane for the last time was such a relief . . .we were overjoyed. Until Aubrey asked me what I had done with the Very-Important-Documents that I had stowed in the seat pocket in front of me . . .

They were, of course, still on the plane.


It's been awhile since I've been faced with dying to self on such a grand scale. I do not begrudge the lesson. I just wish the length of the bridge hadn't been so long.


Dawn Sodini said...

Oh, Angi... lost documents on top of everything else. I'm so glad you are all back. You probably have every second of every day packed to the max. Rest anyone?

Sharon (sk) said...

ok... I know it wasn't funny at the time, but this has me laughing. Especially that first picture of Aubrey...BWAHAHAHAHA! I can't imagine how you managed it, you amaze me! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails