Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Grocery Game: Day 16



You want some.

You know you do.

Come on . . . confess!

You're drooling, aren't you?  :D

Nothing sets a tummy to happiness like a Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry.

Tonight, I served company this dish over brown Jasmine Rice, with an accompaniment of Chop Suey.



It was good.

You know it was.

Come on . . . confess!

You want some, don't you?  :D

Well, I'm going to give you the recipe's for both of these, but first, I want to discuss a handy tip for shopping that can weigh in your favor at the checkout counter.

Ethnic Stores.


Have you taken the time to visit your local Hispanic grocery?  What about the local Thai Asia Market?  The Cuban store?

Many times one can find great prices inside!  For instance, a local Mexican provider might sell limes .10 a piece, instead of .33 at the large chain just down the street.  Saving 20 on each lime you buy?  Now that's worth a trip inside the store!  :)

One of my favorite markets is the Asian shop just down the road.  It's where I buy all my ginger root, and, until my bok choy is ready to harvest, bok choy, alongside many other veggies and goodies.

See that very large bag of bean sprouts?  I purchase that two pound bag for two dollars and some change.  However, if I go down to the local chain store, I'll have to pay almost four dollars for half a pound!  It's very worth it to me to check out the ethnic shops.

See that Jasmine Brown Rice?  The local chain doesn't even sell it.  The list goes on and on.  Rice Sticks for .89 a bag . . . Bok Choy for pennies . . . etc. etc. etc.

Why not take a field trip to your local ethnic store and do a price check on items that you regularly buy, or items you would like to purchase but don't, because of the markup at your local chain store?  You'll be glad you did!  :)

So.  Supper was quite tasty tonight.  Lots of vegetables and tons of flavor, all for a small amount of money.  Tonight's fixin's fed three adults and a four year old.  YUM-my!  :)

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, Chop Suey - The Grocery Game:  Day 16


2 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I convinced Wookie of this when we were first dating and I'd dart into odd stores to pick things up. When we did Core 5 - we tried to find and then trapse across London to the various cultural stores. Amazing what you can find and yep much cheaper than some other places. Although my local grocery store now has 'world foods' aisles full of big bags of cumin for a fraction of the price the little spice sachets cost.

Unknown said...

I love it! Yay! for ethnic offerings! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails