Sunday, October 14, 2007

Motherhood Revisited

Once a mother, one never loses such status. A mother one will always be. But every once in awhile, a profound event occurs. An event so enormous that if it were an elephant in the room, one might just miss it.

I've held my newborn baby boy again today. I've looked into his eyes, full of curiosity about his world; I've squealed and jabbered to him, as tho he can understand every word. He takes it all in, as if to reaffirm my communication, then, contentedly, he falls asleep.

My memory searches for recollections of such moments with each of my children. The discoveries of temperament with each; the interactions that determined the way they take on the world; the bond and love that deepened with each passing day.

I looked at my oldest son today. And my eyes welled with tears. Such a handsome young man he has become. Responsible. Fun. Caring.

Why has it taken so long, this journey of discovery of the preciousness of life? With every butterfly breath upon my cheek, I long to capture the moments so as to never lose the wonder of them.

May I one day look upon my second son with the same awe and wonder of his development as I do with my first.

Ah. I said it to my husband, and it has turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy:

And what happened then...?
Well...in Who-ville they say
That the
Grinch's small heart
Grew three sizes that day!


Welcome to the world, Keller St John. You've already made it a much more beautiful place.

5 comments:

2 Babes in Boyland said...

Oh, Angi, he is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations and welcome, sweet boy!!

Marla

Anonymous said...

Angie, he's beautiful (if it's okay to call a boy beautiful). So alert and yet knows how to scowl at the camera!! Congratulations and best wishes for many years to come of enjoyment.

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

Oh, how I know what you mean. Thanks for sharing. Motherhood is beautiful.

Jodi said...

I am so glad to see the little sprout! Another beautiful child of God in your heavenly home. Love you all!

Richelle Wright said...

I'm crying with joy as I read these words - what a beautiful gift God has given you - several of them, actually. What a beautiful gift you've given us in sharing your sweet reflections.

Amazing how the capacity to love and be amazed by our childrn is inexhaustible.

Related Posts with Thumbnails