Thursday, March 02, 2006

Global Warming and the Restoration Rock

Last night we purchased a globe. The decision to do so was an eclectic mix of our current homeschool study of Pompeii, Italy and the volcano Vesuvius; a sharp 'eye-spy' on behalf of Israel as we walked the isles of KMart; and my ever-growing homeschool parental learning curve.

Taking the globe out of the box, examining the geographical placement of Pompeii, and reading the (of all things) instructions that come with said device, I curiously found myself enjoying this homeschooling adventure in a new sort of way. A type of global warming, if you will.

My mind travelled to an earlier time, when Bethany and Tiffany were quite young, and I was, by all appearances, the traditional doting Mother. (That was before I discovered the fullness of my adventure streak, and set myself free! LOL) The memories of that earlier time, when I took time to bake, and create, and read with the children . . .my mind trailed on and on.

Hmmm. I have a memory of actually enjoying that type of family activity. Why, I pondered, did I relinquish the tradition handed down by my Grandma of making Homemade Salt Clay ? When did I tire of the delight of watching a child squeal with anticipation as I took the concoction off the stove and onto a wax paper, to be molded by little hands?

So, I've awoken today with a full plate, much to accomplish in the marketplace, and a Pompeii project to complete ~ but with a newfound excitement. . . (Now, if I can just put my hands on Grandma's salt clay recipie . . .)

I guess one could say that the vocanic ash and molten rock of Vesuvius have had a restorative effect on us.

Yep. It's gonna be a great day. :)

They that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in. Isaiah 58:11-13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now i know why the Father has called me to house and help so many.

Related Posts with Thumbnails